Introduction to Maine Slot Machine Casino Gambling in 2018
Maine slot machine casino gambling consists of three pari-mutuel racetrack casinos, two of which offer slot machines and table games. Maine also has four off-track betting sites. Bingo is available throughout the state.
This post continues the weekly blog series Online Resource: State-By-State Slots Gambling Summaries, an online resource dedicated to guiding slot machine casino gambling enthusiasts to success. Each weekly post reviews slots gambling in a single U.S. state, territory, or federal district.
Keep Reading … or Listen Instead!
This audio contains additional commentary not found anywhere else!
Subscribe to the Professor Slots podcast at Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | iHeart Radio | Spotify | Stitcher | Pandora | Tune-In | SoundCloud | RadioPublic | Android | RSS and wherever else you find podcasts!
Relevant Legal Statutes on Gambling in Maine*
The minimum legal gambling age in Maine depends upon the gambling activity:
- Land-Based Casinos: 21
- Poker Rooms: 21
- Bingo: 16
- Lottery: 18
- Pari-Mutuel Wagering: 18
In 2003, Maine offered a referendum to its voters to approve slot machines at two racetracks. The residents of Bangor approved it, but residents of the city of Scarborough did not. To this day, the racetrack in Scarborough does not offer slot machines.
In 2010, voters in Oxford approved slot machines for their casino. The next year, the casino in Bangor approved table games. Now, Maine law allows two racetrack racinos.
Maine’s legal rights with regards to tribal gaming are unusual relative to other states. The application of the Indian Gaming Regulatory Act does not apply here due to the Maine Indian Claims Settlement Act. Because of this legal precedent, and unlike most states with tribal gaming, tribal land in Maine is subject to state law.
*The purpose of this section is to inform the public of state gambling laws and how the laws apply to various forms of gambling. This information is not intended to provide legal advice.
Slot Machine Private Ownership in Maine
It is legal to privately own a slot machine in Maine.
Gaming Control Board in Maine
The gaming control bureau for the State of Maine is its Gambling Control Unit.
Casinos in Maine
There are two non-tribal racinos and one pari-mutuel racetrack in Maine. In addition, Maine has four pari-mutuel betting sites.
The largest casino in Maine is Hollywood Casino Hotel & Racetrack Bangor, having 923 gaming machines and 16 table games.
The only other casino with slot machines is Oxford Casino, having 800 gaming machines and 22 table games.
List of Casinos in Maine
Maine’s three non-tribal casinos and racinos are:
- Hollywood Casino Hotel & Raceway Bangor in Bangor located 128 miles northeast of Portland.
- Oxford Casino in Oxford located 43 miles north of Portland.
- Scarborough Downs Race Track in Scarborough located 10 miles southwest of Portland.
List of Tribal Casinos in Maine
Maine has four federally-recognized American Indian tribes. State law permits them to offer high-stakes bingo games without restriction on the size of prizes. The Penobscot High Stakes Bingo Casino previously offered 1,800 bingo seats and pull-tab gambling but has permanently closed.
Other Gambling Establishments
As an alternative to enjoying Maine slot machine casino gambling, consider exploring casino options in a nearby state.
Maine is bordered by:
- East: Canadian Province of New Brunswick
- Northwest: Canadian Province of Quebec
- South: Atlantic Ocean
- West: New Hampshire Slots
The link above will take you to my state-specific blog for Maine’s bordering state of New Hampshire.
Payout Returns in Maine
Maine law requires payout returns have a minimum of 89% on all electronic gaming machines. There is no maximum legal limit for payout returns. Note that this state law requirement applies to Class II bingo-style gaming machines offered by Maine’s tribes.
This reporting includes average slots win% which, when subtracted from 100%, provides the payout return percentage. For October 2018,
- Hollywood Casino Hotel & Raceway Bangor had a payout return of 89.84%.
- Oxford Casino had a payout return of 89.96%.
Summary of Maine Slot Machine Casino Gambling in 2018
Maine slot machine casino gambling consists of two pari-mutuel racinos offering slot machines and table games. The third racetrack offers only pari-mutuel wagering.
The minimum legal limit for payout returns is 89%. Actual payout return statistics are available by month except for the most recent month, where they are available weekly.
Annual Progress in Maine Slot Machine Casino Gambling
In the last year, the Penobscot High Stakes Bingo Casino in Old Town has permanently closed.
2017 Archive: Maine Slot Machine Casino Gambling in 2017 – Maine slot machine casino gambling exists at one of two casinos as well as at one of two racinos: Hollywood Casino Hotel and Raceway Bangor as well as Oxford Casino. Both locations also offer table games. The American Indian tribal casino offers high-stakes bingo, a Class II game, with seating up to 1,800 players.
Related Articles from Professor Slots
- 11 Things You Need To Know About American Indian Tribal Casinos – Tribal gaming is involved, even sophisticated, in terms of legal, regulatory, political, and economic factors. It’s one of the least understood segments of the U.S. gaming industry. This summary article on American Indian tribal casinos helps slot machine casino gamblers better understand the tribal casinos they visit.
Other State-By-State Articles from Professor Slots
- Series: Online Resource: State-By-State Slots Gambling Summaries – Now in its second year, this series is an online resource dedicated to slot machine casino gambling enthusiasts. It provides 56 weekly, detailed gambling summarizes covering each U.S. state, territory, and the federal district to capture dynamic changes occurring of late in the U.S. gaming/gambling industry specific to slots play.
- Previous: Louisiana Slot Machine Casino Gambling in 2018 – Louisiana slot machine casino gambling consists of 24 casinos, including 1 land-based, 4 tribal, and 16 riverboat casinos. Video poker gaming machines are in many businesses spread across the state. Payout return limits are legally set for non-tribal gaming. Return statistics for casinos are available by region and slots denomination.
- Next: Maryland Slot Machine Casino Gambling in 2018 – Maryland slot machine casino gambling consists of six casinos with VLT-style slot machines controlled by the State of Maryland and two cruise ships sailing out of the Port of Baltimore. The minimum payout return is 87% per VLT machine and 90% to 95% per casino. No actual payout return statistics are publicly available.