Introduction to Louisiana Slot Machine Casino Gambling in 2018
Louisiana slot machine casino gambling includes 24 casinos of different types, including:
- 15 riverboat casinos
- 1 land-based casino
- 4 pari-mutuel racinos
- 4 tribal casinos
The gaming industry has become an important part of Louisiana’s culture and economy. Pari-mutuel wagering received state
This post continues the weekly series Online Resource: A State-By-State Slot Machine Casino Gambling Series, an online resource dedicated to guiding slot machine casino gambling enthusiasts to success. Each weekly post reviews slots gambling in a single U.S. state, territory, or the federal district.
Keep Reading … or Listen Instead!
This audio contains additional commentary not found anywhere else!
Subscribe to the Professor Slots podcast at Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | iHeart Radio | Spotify | Stitcher | Pandora | Tune-In | SoundCloud | RadioPublic | Android | RSS and wherever else you find podcasts!
Relevant Legal Statutes on Gambling in Louisiana*
The minimum legal gambling age in Louisiana depends upon the gambling activity:
- Land-Based Casinos: 21
- Poker Rooms: 21
- Bingo: 18
- Lottery: 21
- Pari-Mutuel Wagering: 18
Louisiana has had a long history of illegal casinos, with the state alternating between raiding illegal casino operations and ignoring them.
Louisiana was the fourth U.S. state to legalize riverboat casinos. These gambling establishments received approved by the state in 1991 along with the return of the state lottery. In 1992, an added provision allowed a land-based casino in New Orleans.
Negotiations began in 1993 for state-tribal compacts with Louisiana’s three federally-recognized American Indian tribes. Each tribe opened their own tribal casino once these gaming compacts received approval, as required, by the federal government.
A fourth American Indian tribe, federally recognized in 2002, negotiated a state-tribal compact. They eventually gained U.S. Department of the Interior approval, as well.
In 1997, efforts by pari-mutuel racetracks to add slot machines to their facilities were eventually successful at three locations. Later, a fourth track received similar approval.
Video bingo is the primary type of electronic gaming machine available in Louisiana. According to Louisiana gaming regulations, these are legal slot machines or “electronic gaming machines.”
However, the wording used in some parts of the state gaming regulations is ambiguous. For example, a loose definition for “truck stops” has allowed the addition and spread of video poker machines at many businesses across the state.
*The purpose of this section is to inform the public of state gambling laws and how the laws apply to various forms of gambling. This information is not intended to provide legal advice.
Slot Machine Private Ownership in Louisiana
It is legal to privately own a slot machine in Louisiana if it is 25 years old or older.
Gaming Control Board in Louisiana
Casinos in Louisiana
There are 23 casinos in Louisiana. Of these, 16 are non-tribal riverboat casinos, 1 is a land-based casino, 4 are pari-mutuel racinos, and 3 are American Indian tribal casinos.
The largest casino in Louisiana is Harrah’s New Orleans Casino & Hotel having 3,800 gaming machines and 105 table games.
The second largest casino is Paragon Casino Resort in Marksville, owned and operated by the Tunica-Biloxi Tribe, and having 2,200 gaming machines and 45 table games.
List of Casinos in Louisiana
The 20 non-tribal commercial casinos in Louisiana are:
- Amelia Belle Casino, a riverboat casino in Amelia located 79 miles west of New Orleans.
- Belle of Baton Rouge, a riverboat casino in Baton Rouge located 81 miles northwest of New Orleans.
- Boomtown Casino & Hotel Bossier City, a riverboat casino in Bossier City located 216 miles west of Jackson, MS.
- Boomtown Casino New Orleans, a riverboat casino in Harvey located 11 miles south of New Orleans.
- Delta Downs Racetrack & Casino, a pari-mutuel casino in Vinton located 140 miles northeast of Galveston, TX.
- Diamond Jacks Casino – Bossier City, a riverboat casino in Bossier City located 216 miles west of Jackson, MS.
- Eldorado Casino Shreveport, a riverboat casino in Shreveport located 217 miles west of Jackson, MS.
- Evangeline Downs Racetrack & Casino, a pari-mutuel casino in Opelousas located 137 miles northwest of New Orleans.
- Fair Grounds Racecourse & Slots, a pari-mutuel casino in New Orleans.
- Golden Nugget Casino – Lake Charles, a riverboat casino in Lake Charles located 162 miles northeast of Galveston, TX.
- Harrah’s Louisiana Downs, a pari-mutuel casino in Bossier City located 210 miles west of Jackson, MS.
- Harrah’s New Orleans Casino & Hotel, a land-based casino in New Orleans.
- Hollywood Casino – Baton Rouge, a riverboat casino in Baton Rouge located 83 miles northwest of New Orleans.
- Horseshoe Casino Hotel – Bossier City, a riverboat casino in Bossier City located 216 miles west of Jackson, MS.
- Isle of Capri Casino – Lake Charles, a riverboat casino in Lake Charles located 163 miles northeast of Galveston, TX.
- L’Auberge Casino Hotel Baton Rouge, a riverboat casino in Baton Rouge located 75 miles northwest of New Orleans.
- L’Auberge Casino Resort Lake Charles, a riverboat casino in Lake Charles located 163 miles northeast of Galveston, TX.
- Margaritaville Resort Casino – Bossier City, a riverboat casino in Bossier City located 216 miles west of Jackson, MS.
- Sam’s Town Hotel & Casino Shreveport, a riverboat casino in Shreveport 216 miles west of Jackson, MS.
- Treasure Chest Casino, a riverboat casino in Kenner located 15 miles northwest of New Orleans.
List of Tribal Casinos in Louisiana
Three out of the four Louisiana American Indian casinos have negotiated tribal-state compacts allowing them to offer Class III Vegas-style gaming. Jena Choctaw Pines Casino offers only Class II competition-style gaming:
There are four tribal casinos in Louisiana:
- Coushatta Casino Resort in Baldwin, owned and operated by the Chitimacha Tribe of Louisiana, located 115 miles west of New Orleans.
- Cypress Bayou Casino in Charenton, owned and operated by the Tunica-Biloxi Tribe, located 116 miles west of New Orleans.
- Jena Choctaw Pines Casino in Dry Prong, owned and operated by the Jena Band of Choctaw Indians, located 201 miles northwest of New Orleans.
- Paragon Casino Resort in Marksville, owned and operated by the Tunica-Biloxi Tribe, located 163 miles northwest of New Orleans.
Other Gambling Establishments
As an alternative to enjoying Louisiana slot machine casino gambling, consider exploring casino options in a nearby state.
Louisiana is bordered by:
Each of the links above will take you to my state-specific blog for that bordering state to Louisiana.
Payout Returns in Louisiana
Payout return legal limits are set at a minimum of 80% and a maximum of 99.9% for electronic gaming machines in Louisiana’s casinos. For video poker machines not in casinos, the legal limits have been set to a minimum of 80% and a maximum of 94%.
The Louisiana Gaming Control Board provides annual and monthly reports on gaming revenue. However, these reports only provide overall actual payout return statistics for each of the 4 pari-mutuel racino sites.
Overall monthly payout returns at the four pari-mutuel racinos are Taxable Net Slot Proceeds divided by Total AGR: In October 2018, each of the 4 racinos had an overall return of precisely 82.00%.
Unfortunately, the other three Revenue Reports above do not offer Net Slot Proceeds. Therefore, no payout returns are available on the Gaming Control Board for video poker, land-based casino, and riverboat casinos.
Fortunately, the Gaming Enforcement Division has a monthly Slot Payout Summary with detailed payout returns. Here you will find the monthly payout return for each slot machine denomination. But, instead of by individual casino, they are by state region.
The four state regions in Louisiana with overall gaming statistics are as follows, including the casinos and any pari-mutuel racino located within that region:
- Baton Rouge: Belle of Baton Rouge, Evangeline Downs, Hollywood, and L’Auberge
- Lake Charles: Delta Downs, Golden Nugget, Isle of Capri, L’Auberge Lake Charles
- New Orleans: Amelia Belle, Boomtown New Orleans, Fair Grounds, Harrah’s, and Treasure Chest
- Shreveport/Bossier City: Boomtown Bossier, Diamond Jack’s, Eldorado, Harrah’s Louisiana Downs, Horseshoe, Margaritaville, and Sam’s Town
The September 2018 payout return statistics for these 4 regions are as follows. The regions with the best payout return for a specific denomination is in red.
Averaged over all slot denominations, each region has a very similar payout return for September 2018. Note that these summary reports include the number of slot machines for each region and denomination. This can be very helpful.
For instance, there are only 2 slot machines with a $50 denomination in the Lake Charles region, yet their combined payout return is 97.1%. That’s the highest return for any denomination in Lake Charles. One of these slot machines wins more than the other, most likely, and you’d only have to figure out which one, out of 2. Not out of 2,000.
As is often the case with negotiated state-tribal compacts, any legal limits on payout returns for gaming machines at American Indian tribal casinos in Louisiana
However, the tribal-state gaming compact between Louisiana and at least the Chitimacha Tribe of Louisiana has a Section 10-c-4 at the top of page 34 which states “The stands and rules of each game and odds paid to
Does this mean each slot machine at tribal casinos has its individual payout returns available? If not, what does this mean? If you know, I’d ask that you contact me with that information. My contact information is available at the bottom of this page. Thanks!
Our Louisiana Slots Facebook Group
Are you interested in sharing and learning with other slots enthusiasts in Louisiana? If so, join our new Louisiana slots community on Facebook. All you’ll need is a Facebook profile to freely join this closed Facebook Group.
There, you’ll be able to privately share your slots experiences as well as chat with players about slots gambling in or near Louisiana. Come join us!
Summary of Louisiana Slot Machine Casino Gambling in 2018
Louisiana slot machine casino gambling consists of 24 casinos, including 20 non-tribal casinos and 4 tribal casinos. There are also video poker gaming machines located in many businesses across the state.
Payout return limits are available for non-tribal casinos and non-casino sites. Actual payout return statistics are something of a mixed bag. They are publicly available from the Louisiana State Police Gaming Enforcement Division by state region and machine denomination. The 4 pari-mutuel racinos have site-specific payout returns available from the Louisiana Gaming Control Board.
Annual Progress in Louisiana Slot Machine Casino Gambling
Over the last year, there has been little change in the state of slots gambling in Louisiana.
2017 Archive: Louisiana Slot Machine Casino Gambling in 2017 – Louisiana slot machine casino gambling includes riverboat casinos, a land-based casino, pari-mutuel casinos with slot machines, and American Indian tribal casinos. The gaming industry has become an important part of Louisiana’s culture and economy, including the spread of video poker across loosely-defined truck stops.
Related Articles from Professor Slots
- 11 Things You Need To Know About American Indian Tribal Casinos – Tribal gaming is involved, even sophisticated, in terms of legal, regulatory, political, and economic factors. It’s one of the least understood segments of the U.S. gaming industry. This summary article on American Indian tribal casinos helps slot machine casino gamblers better understand the tribal casinos they visit.
Other State-By-State Articles from Professor Slots
- Online Resource: A State-By-State Slot Machine Casino Gambling Series – This online resource for slot machine casino gamblers summaries a third year of 56 weekly posts for each U.S. state, territory, and the federal district. Slots players begin here to learn about the slots gaming industry in each U.S. gaming jurisdiction. This summary article links to 56 individual state-specific posts useful to slots players.
- Previous: Kentucky Slot Machine Casino Gambling in 2018 – Kentucky slot machine casino gambling exists as
skill– and competition-based Historic Horse Races electronic gaming machines. Traditional games of chance slot machines are illegal. Four pari-mutuel wagering facilities offer 2,734 of these gaming machines having an overall monthly payout return percentage of 91.47%.
- Next: Maine Slot Machine Casino Gambling in 2018 – Maine slot machine casino gambling consists of two pari-mutuel racinos offering slot machines and table games. The third racetrack offers only pari-mutuel wagering. The minimum legal limit for payout returns is 89%. Actual payout return statistics are available by month except for the most recent month, where they are available weekly.