Introduction to Maryland Slot Machine Casino Gambling
Maryland slot machine casino gambling consists of six casinos offering electronic gaming machines, five of which offer live table games, and 1 of which offers both table games and pari-mutuel wagering.
Overall, Maryland has 14 gambling establishments, including
- 5 pari-mutuel facilities offering horseracing and simulcasting;
- 2 bingo halls; and,
- 2 international cruise ships.
The specific type of slot machines offered in Maryland are video lottery terminals.
This post continues the weekly blog series “Slot Machine Casino Gambling, State-By-State“, a year-long online resource project dedicated to guiding slot machine gambling enthusiasts to success.
Relevant Legal Statutes on Gambling*
In the 2008 general election, voters ratified a constitutional amendment authorizing slot machines in the state.
In a 2012 referendum, voters also approved a gaming expansion bill allowing for table games in all Maryland casinos as well as a sixth casino also offering slot machines.
The minimum legal age for gambling in Maryland is 21, including gambling via online casinos.
*The purpose of this section is to inform the public of state gambling laws and how the laws apply to various forms of gambling. This information is not intended to provide legal advice.
Slot Machine Private Ownership
It is legal to privately own a slot machine in Maryland if it is 25 years old or older.
State Gaming Commission
The Maryland Lottery and Gaming Control Agency has a 7-person commission as its advisory board. This commission is appointed to four-year terms by the Governor with the advice and consent of the Senate. The commission assumed responsibility for regulating slot machines in Maryland in 2008.
Payback percentages from Maryland casinos is not publically available. However, the state’s gaming regulations require a minimum payback of 87% on both any one gaming machine. In addition, each casino must have an average payback percentage between 90% and 95%.
The largest casino in Maryland is the Maryland Live! Casino & Hotel in Handover, Maryland having 4,337 gaming machines and 125 table games.
The second largest casino is the MGM Casino – National Harbor in Oxon Hill, Maryland having 3,300 gaming machines and 140 table games. This casino opened in December 2016.
Maryland’s 14 gambling establishments, along with gaming type offered, are:
- Casino at Ocean Downs in Berlin, Maryland (casino)
- Carnival Pride Casino in Baltimore, Maryland (cruise ship casino)
- Delta Bingo and Gaming Laurel in Laurel, Maryland (bingo hall)
- Delta Bingo and Gaming Waysons in Lothaian, Maryland (bingo hall)
- Hollywood Casino Perryville in Perryville, Maryland (casino)
- Horseshoe Casino Baltimore in Baltimore, Maryland (casino)
- Laurel Park in Laurel, Maryland (pari-mutuel facility)
- Maryland Live! Casino in Handover, Maryland (casino)
- Maryland State Fair Timonium in Timonium, Maryland (pari-mutuel facility)
- MGM National Harbor in Oxon Hill, Maryland (casino)
- Pimlico Race Course in Baltimore, Maryland (pari-mutuel facility)
- Rocky Gap Casino Resort in Flintstone, Maryland (casino)
- Rosecroft Raceway in Fort Washington, Maryland (pari-mutual facility)
- Royal Caribbean International – Grandeur of the Seas in Baltimore, Maryland (cruise ship casino)
Maryland slot machine casino gambling consists of six casinos offering video lottery terminal style slot machines. Most recently, the MGM National Harbor casino in Oxon Hill opened in December 2016.
Baltimore is home port to two international cruise ships offering slot machines.
Overall, Maryland has a total 14 gambling establishments, including those with slots as well as 5 pari-mutuel facilities and 2 bingo halls.
Other State-By-State Articles from Professor Slots
- Main: Slot Machine Casino Gambling, State-By-State
- Previous: Maine Slot Machine Casino Gambling 2017 – Maine slot machine casino gambling exists at one of two casinos as well as at one of two racinos: Hollywood Casino Hotel and Raceway Bangor as well as Oxford Casino. Both locations also offer table games. The American Indian tribal casino offers high-stakes bingo, a Class II game, with seating up to 1,800 players.
- Next: Massachusetts Slot Machine Casino Gambling 2017 – Massachusetts slot machine casino gambling consists of Plainridge Park Casino with 1,250 slot machines and the NCL Dawn cruise ship with 199 slot machines. Two expansive casino resorts are expected to open in late 2018, the MGM Springfield Casino Resort, and late 2019, the Wynn Boston Harbor Resort in Everett.