Introduction to Oregon Slot Machine Casino Gambling 2018
Oregon slot machine casino gambling consists of 9 American Indian casinos. However, Oregon state law allows bars and taverns to have up to 6 video lottery terminal (VLT) style slot machines.
Further, pari-mutuel wagering facilities are allowed to have up to 10 VLTs. The maximum bet is $2.50, with a maximum payout of $600.
According to the Oregon Lottery, VLTs had an annual payout return percentage of 92.22% from mid-2016 to mid-2017.
The Portland Meadows racetrack has instant racing betting machines but, while they appear to be traditional slot machines, are actually based on prior and anonymous racing results with spinning reels for entertainment purposes only.
Off track betting, operated under the Portland Meadows state gaming license, is offered at 11 sites across the state.
This post continues the weekly blog series “Slot Machine Casino Gambling, State-By-State“, a year-long online resource project dedicated to guiding slot machine gambling enthusiasts to success.
Keep Reading … or Listen Instead!
Relevant Legal Statutes on Gambling in Oregon*
The minimum legal age for casino gambling in Oregon is either 18 or 21, depending upon the specific gambling establishment. For pari-mutuel wagering and participation in lottery activities, the minimum legal age is 18.
The video lottery terminal slot machines available in Oregon are like video slot machines except they are regulated by the Oregon lottery commission, which receives a portion of each machine’s revenue.
*The purpose of this section is to inform the public of state gambling laws and how the laws apply to various forms of gambling. This information is not intended to provide legal advice.
Slot Machine Private Ownership in Oregon
It is legal to privately own a slot machine in the state of Oregon if it is 25 years old or older.
Gaming Control Board in Oregon
As video lottery terminals, the slot machines in U.S. state of Oregon are controlled by the Oregon Lottery in a manner not entirely dissimilar to lottery tickets.
Its Mission is set forth in Oregon’s state constitution, specifically in Article XV, Section 4: Regulation of lotteries; state lottery; use of net proceeds from state lottery:
“Operate a lottery with the highest standards of security and integrity to earn maximum profits for the people of Oregon commensurate with the public good.”
The governing board of the Oregon Lottery is a five-member Lottery Commission, each appointed by the governor for four-year terms. The State Senate must confirm all such appointments. At least one commissioner is required to have at least five years’ experience in law enforcement.
Also, at least one other commissioner must be a certified public accountant. Finally, no more than three commissioners can be affiliated with the same political party.
The Oregon Lottery is the state’s second largest revenue producer after personal income tax. Since 1985, the Oregon Lottery has had:
- $11 billion contributed to the state;
- $9 billion transferred to help support:
- public education;
- economic development;;
- state parks; and
- watershed enhancement.
- $28 billion prizes paid to players; and
- 1.5% of net proceeds deposited into a veterans’ services fund created by the State Legislature.
List of Casinos in Oregon
The largest casino in Oregon is the Spirit Mountain Casino. It has 2,000 gaming machines and 49 table games. The second largest is Wildhorse Resort & Casino, having 1,200 gaming machines and 17 table games. Neither of these casinos offer video poker gaming machines.
According to the state-gaming compacts, the 9 Indian casinos in Oregon are not required to either report their payout returns nor is there a legally required minimum payout return.
The 9 American Indian tribal casinos in Oregon are:
- Chinook Winds Casino Resort in Lincoln City;
- Indian Head Casino in Warm Springs;
- Kla-Mo-Ya Casino in Chiloquin;
- The Mill Casino Hotel in North Bend;
- Seven Feathers Casino Resort in Canyonville;
- Spirit Mountain Casino in Grand Ronde;
- Three Rivers Casino & Hotel in Florence;
- Three Rivers Casino Coos Bay in Coos Bay; and
- Wildhorse Resort & Casino in Pendleton.
Summary of Oregon Slot Machine Casino Gambling 2018
Oregon slot machine casino gambling consists of 9 American Indian tribal casinos with video lottery terminal style slot machines run by the Oregon Lottery. Oregon state law also permits a half-dozen VLTs in bars, with racinos allowed to have up to ten VLTs. The maximum bet is $2.50, with a maximum payout of $600.
The video lottery terminal slot machines available in Oregon are like traditional video slot machines except they are regulated by the Oregon lottery commission, which receives a portion of each machine’s revenue.
According to the Oregon Lottery, from mid-2016 through mid-2017 VLTs had an annual payout return of 92.22%.
Professor Slots Video on Oregon Slot Machine Casino Gambling 2018
Other State-By-State Articles from Professor Slots
- Series: Online Resource: State-By-State Slots Gambling Summaries – Now in its second year, this series is an online resource dedicated to slot machine casino gambling enthusiasts. It provides 56 weekly, detailed gambling summarizes covering each U.S. state, territory, and the federal district to capture dynamic changes occurring of late in the U.S. gaming/gambling industry specific to slots play.
- Previous: Oklahoma Slot Machine Casino Gambling 2018 – Oklahoma slot machine casino gambling consists of 130 tribal casinos and two
pari-mutual racinos. Most offer only Class II bingo machines,and accept debit cards rather than cash. No public information is available with regards to gaming machine payout returns percentages from tribal casinos in the state of Oklahoma.
- Next: Pennsylvania Slot Machine Casino Gambling 2018 – Until recently, Pennsylvania slot machine casino gambling consisted of 14 possible casinos: 7 racinos, 5 standalone casinos, and 2 casino resorts. One of them opens in South Philadelphia in late 2018. But, as of October 2017, casino gambling was legalized at truck stops, airports, 10 new satellite casinos, and online.