Introduction to Puerto Rico Slot Machine Casino Gambling 2018
Prior to Hurricane Maria, Puerto Rico slot machine casino gambling consisted of 16 casinos as well as casinos on visiting cruise ships. San Juan itself had 5 casinos. However, the widespread devastation visited upon Puerto Rico in September of 2017 by Hurricane Maria has left much in doubt regarding the state of gambling.
Frankly, not having a consistently functioning electrical grid makes the likelihood of gaming machines being operational quite problematic. Further, there is no assessment available regarding the current condition of gambling facilities.
Officially the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, this unincorporated U.S. territory is located in the northeast Caribbean Sea. It includes the main island of Puerto Rico, with its capital of San Juan, as well as Mona, Culebra, Vieques, and other small islands.
The population of Puerto Ricans is approximately 3.4 million and are, by law, natural-born citizens of the United States. The Commonwealth of Puerto Rico consists of 5,320 square miles, of which 3,420 square miles is land. Puerto Rico is individually larger than each of the U.S. states Delaware and Rhode Island.
In late September 2017, Hurricane Maria devastated Puerto Rico. The island’s electrical grid was largely destroyed, resulting in the largest power outage in American history. Due to a slow recovery, although progress is being made, over 200,000 residents moved to Florida alone by late November 2017.
This post continues the weekly blog series “Slot Machine Casino Gambling, State-By-State“, a year-long online resource project dedicated to guiding slot machine gambling enthusiasts to success.
Keep Reading … or Listen Instead!
Relevant Legal Statutes on Gambling in Puerto Rico*
The minimum legal age for gambling in Puerto Rico is unknown.
*The purpose of this section is to inform the public of state gambling laws and how the laws apply to various forms of gambling. This information is not intended to provide legal advice.
Slot Machine Private Ownership in Puerto Rico
The legal status for privately owning a slot machine in the territory of Puerto Rico is unknown.
Gaming Control Board in Puerto Rico
Online information for the gaming commission of Puerto Rico is currently inaccessible. Actual payout return statistics are not known to be available.
Casinos in Puerto Rico
Prior to the late September 2017 Hurricane Maria, there were 16 casinos listed as being available in Puerto Rico. These casinos in Puerto Rico are:
- Casino Doral Resort at Palmas Del Mar in Humacao.
- Embassy Suites Hotel & Casino in Carolina.
- El San Juan Resort & Casino, A Hilton Hotel in Carolina.
- Holiday Inn Tropical Casino Mayagüez in Mayagüez.
- Holiday Inn and El Tropical Casino in Ponce.
- Hyatt Dorado Beach Resort & Casino Country Club in Dorado.
- Mayagüez Resort & Casino in Mayagüez.
- Ponce Plaza Hotel & Casino in Ponce.
- Ponce Hilton & Casino in Ponce.
- Radisson Ambassador Plaza Hotel & Casino in San Juan.
- Ritz-Carlton San Juan Hotel & Casino in Carolina.
- San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino in San Juan.
- Westin Rio Mar Beach Resort, Country Club & Casino in Rio Grande.
- The Condado Plaza Hilton in San Juan.
- Wyndham Old San Juan Hotel & Casino in San Juan.
- Embassy Suites Dorado del Mar in Dorado.
Summary of Puerto Rico Slot Machine Casino Gambling 2018
In part due to the devastation inflicted to Puerto Rico, there is limited information available with regards to the current status of Puerto Rico slot machine casino gambling.
Prior to late September 2017, before Hurricane Maria, Puerto Rico had 16 casinos in operation, most connected to well-known hotel chains such as Embassy Suites, Hilton, Holiday Inn, Hyatt, Marriott, Radisson, Ritz-Carlton, Westin, and Wyndham.
Professor Slots Video on Puerto Rico Slot Machine Casino Gambling 2018
Other State-By-State Articles from Professor Slots
- Series: Online Resource: State-By-State Slots Gambling Summaries – Now in its second year, this series is an online resource dedicated to slot machine casino gambling enthusiasts. It provides 56 weekly, detailed gambling summarizes covering each U.S. state, territory, and the federal district to capture dynamic changes occurring of late in the U.S. gaming/gambling industry specific to slots play.
- Previous: Pennsylvania Slot Machine Casino Gambling 2018 – Until recently, Pennsylvania slot machine casino gambling consisted of 14 possible casinos: 7 racinos, 5 standalone casinos, and 2 casino resorts. One of them opens in South Philadelphia in late 2018. But, as of October 2017, casino gambling was legalized at truck stops, airports, 10 new satellite casinos, and online.
- Next: Rhode Island Slot Machine Casino Gambling 2018 – Rhode Island slot machine casino gambling consists of two pari-mutuel racinos having multi-game VLT-style slot machines. The Twin River Casino in Lincoln is the seventh largest casino in America. These VLTs are regulated by the state lottery. A replacement racino for Newport Grand Casino nears completion in Tiverton.