Introduction to U.S. Virgin Islands Slot Machine Casino Gambling 2019
U.S. Virgin Islands slot machine casino gambling consists of seven casinos with one of them proposed. However, due to ongoing rebuilding efforts after the two hurricanes of September 2017, only the casinos on the islands of St. John and St. Thomas are currently open
The U.S. Virgin Islands are in the Caribbean about 40 miles east of Puerto Rico. This U.S. island territory consists of the main islands of St. Croix, St. John, and St. Thomas as well as many surrounding minor islands.
This post continues the weekly blog series Online Resource: State-By-State Slots Gambling Summaries, an online resource dedicated to guiding slot machine casino gambling enthusiasts to success. Each weekly post reviews slots gambling in a single U.S. state, territory, or federal district.
Relevant Legal Statutes on Gambling in the U.S. Virgin Islands*
The minimum legal gambling age in the U.S. Virgin Islands depends upon the gambling activity:
- Land-Based Casinos: 21
- Poker Rooms: 21
- Bingo: Not available
- Lottery: 18
- Pari-Mutuel Wagering: Not available
A referendum held in November 1994 legalized casino gambling on St. Croix. However, at that time, voters rejected it on St. Thomas and St. John. Following the referendum, the legislature voted to legalize casino gambling in St. Croix on April 27, 1995.
The Virgin Islands Casino and Resort Act of 1995 allowed the issuance of six casino licenses. It intended to stimulate the economy of the island of St. Croix, specifically the tourism sector. Per this Act, only a major hotel and convention facility can have a casino
Sometime after this initial referendum result, apparently, casino gambling became legalized on the islands of St. Thomas and St. John. This status is only apparent because the websites for these locations state they have slot machines available. Therefore, use some caution before assuming these locations have legalized gaming options.
Online casino games and poker are available in the U.S. Virgin Islands, yet licenses haven’t been issued. Players are unprosecuted for playing in offshore casinos. The U.S. Virgin Islands does not block online casino websites.
*The purpose of this section is to inform the public of state gambling laws and how the laws apply to various forms of gambling. This information is not intended to provide legal advice.
Slot Machine Private Ownership in the U.S. Virgin Islands
It is unknown whether it is legal or not to privately own a slot machine in the territory of the U.S. Virgin Islands.
Gaming Control Board in the U.S. Virgin Islands
The Virgin Islands Casino and Resort Control Act of 1995 established the U.S. Virgin Islands Casino Control Commission. The Commission does not have a website, but its main phone number is (340) 718-3138.
The Casino Control Commission issued its first two casino licenses in 1998. After the passing of Hurricane Lenny in November 1999, the first St. Croix casino opened in March 2001.
One of the main functions of the Commission is the issuance of licenses to prospective investors and employees. The Commission has a physical presence, through inspectors and agents, during the operation of the casino.
The Division’s primary function is to investigate the qualifications of each applicant before the Commission issues any license, permit, or certification to that applicant. Further, the DGE requires they verify any jackpot of $25,000 or more.
Casinos in the U.S. Virgin Islands
There are seven commercial casinos on the islands of St. Croix, St. John, and St. Thomas in the U.S. Virgin Islands. Most of these casinos are not open or only proposed as casinos. If traveling to the U.S. Virgin Islands, be sure to check the status of any casinos you plan to visit on these islands
The second largest casino, once it opens, will be Golden Resort on the island of St. Croix.
List of Casinos in the U.S. Virgin Islands
The four casinos on the island of St. Croix in the U.S. Virgin Islands, all currently closed for various reasons, are:
- Divi Carina Bay All-Inclusive Beach Resort & Casino located in Christiansted. It’s closed for rebuilding until January 2020.
- Caravelle Hotel & Casino located in Christiansted. It’s currently closed for renovations.
- Seven Hills Golf Resort & Casino located in Christiansted. It’s a proposed casino.
- Golden Resorts: Golf Resort, Casino, and Conference Center in Christiansted. Its projected opening is still March 2019.
The one casino on the island of St. John in the U.S. Virgin Islands is:
- Parrot Club located in Cruz Bay.
The two casinos on the island of St. Thomas in the U.S. Virgin Islands are:
- Windward Passage Hotel located on the western outskirts of Charlotte Amalie.
- Winner’s Circle in Havensight located on the southeastern outskirts of Charlotte Amalie.
List of Tribal Casinos in the U.S. Virgin Islands
There are no American Indian tribal casinos on the U.S. Virgin Islands.
Other Gambling Establishments
As an alternative to enjoying U.S. Virgin Islands slot machine casino gambling, consider exploring casino options in a nearby state. Bordering this island territory is:
Each of the links above will take you to my state-specific blog for that neighboring state or territory to the U.S. Virgin Islands.
Payout Returns in the U.S. Virgin Islands
No payout return limits or statistics are available from the U.S. Virgin Islands Gaming Control Commission.
Summary of U.S. Virgin Islands Slot Machine Casino Gambling 2019
U.S. Virgin Islands slot machine casino gambling consists of seven casinos. These casinos are on the islands of St. Croix, St. John, and St. Thomas. However, most casinos closed for renovation. These rebuilding efforts were a result of the massive damage caused by two Category-5 hurricanes, Irma and Maria, in September 2017.
Before making travel plans to the U.S. Virgin Islands with an intent to gamble, be sure to check the updated status of any casinos you plan to visit on the islands comprising this U.S. territory.
Annual Progress in U.S. Virgin Islands Slot Machine Casino Gambling
There have been little to no changes in the gaming industry of the U.S. Virgin Islands since the widespread devastation caused by Hurricanes Irma and Maria in late-2017.
2018 Archive: U.S. Virgin Islands Slot Machine Casino Gambling 2018 – U.S. Virgin Islands slot machine casino gambling consists of casinos on the island of St. Croix. Hurricanes Irma and Maria two weeks later, both category 5 storms, have devastated the island territory. Currently, the cruise ships port is in use, a hotel casino has reopened, but the casino resort is still under repair.
Professor Slots Video on U.S. Virgin Islands Slot Machine Casino Gambling 2019
Other State-By-State Articles from Professor Slots
- Series: Online Resource: State-By-State Slots Gambling Summaries – Now in its second year, this series is an online resource dedicated to slot machine casino gambling enthusiasts. It provides 56 weekly, detailed gambling summarizes covering each U.S. state, territory, and the federal district to capture dynamic changes occurring of late in the U.S. gaming/gambling industry specific to slots play.
- Previous: Texas Slot Machine Casino Gambling 2019 – Texas slot machine casino gambling consists of 2 tribal casinos with Class II bingo-style machines where the spinning reels are for entertainment purposes only. Players compete for prizes against other players throughout a tribal casino’s gaming floor. Texas also has 6 pari-mutual wagering facilities without slot machines.
- Next: Utah Slot Machine Casino Gambling 2019 – Utah slot machine casino gambling does not exist. Utah is one of only two states, the other being Hawaii, where gambling is strictly illegal. The nearest slot machines for Utah residents are in West Wendover in Nevada, 123 miles directly west of Salt Lake City, Utah. Bingo is legal in Utah, but only if offered free of charge.