Introduction to North Dakota Slot Machine Casino Gambling
North Dakota slot machine casino gambling currently consists of five Native American tribal casinos. As required by the negotiated state-tribal gaming compacts approved by the U.S. Department of the Interior in 2013, gaming machines have a payout return between 80% and 100%. Slot machines at tribal casinos are allowed a maximum total bet of $25.
North Dakota also have a wide selection of sites, over 800 locations state-wide, for charitable gaming. Blackjack is common, as is bingo, pull tabs, punchboards, twenty-one, calcuttas, sports pools, paddlewheels, and poker. However, there are no legally-allowed slot machines at these locations.
There are also two racetrack pari-mutuel facilities, Chippewa Downs and North Dakota Horse Park, as well as a series of Off Track Betting locations in the state. Again, there are no legally-allowed slot machines at these locations.
This post continues the weekly blog series “Slot Machine Casino Gambling, State-By-State“, a year-long online resource project dedicated to guiding slot machine gambling enthusiasts to success.
Relevant Legal Statutes on Gambling*
The minimum legal age for gambling in North Dakota tribal casinos is 21. Most charitable gaming sites also have a minimum legal age of 21 restriction, with bingo being the exception where a minor may play bingo is accompanied by an adult.
On March 11, 2013, the U.S. Department of the Interior approved five negotiated state-tribal gaming compacts allowing Class III casino-style gambling at American Indian tribal casinos. At these tribal casinos, the maximum bet is limited to $25.
Video games of skill, such as video poker and video blackjack, have a minimum payout return of 83%. Typical slot machines are required via the state-tribal gaming compact to have a payout return of at least 80%.
*The purpose of this section is to inform the public of state gambling laws and how the laws apply to various forms of gambling. This information is not intended to provide legal advice.
Slot Machine Private Ownership
It is legal to privately own a slot machine in the state of North Dakota if it is 25 years old or older.
State Gaming Commission
- Charitable Gaming
- Tribal Gaming
- North Dakota Lottery
The largest casino in North Dakota is the Dakota Magic Casino Resort in Hankinson. It has 1,001 gaming machines and 18 table games. The second largest is Sky Dancer Hotel Casino & Resort in St. Michael. having 820 gaming machines and 10 table games.
The 5 casinos in North Dakota are:
- Dakota Magic Casino Resort in Hankinson;
- Four Bears Casino & Lodge in New Town;
- Grand Treasure Casino in Trenton;
- Prairie Knights Casino & Resort in Fort Yates; and
- Sky Dancer Hotel Casino & Resort in St. Michael.
Again, typical slot machines are required via the state-tribal gaming compact to have a payout return of at least 80%, with video games of skill being limited to 83%. Monthly gaming statistics are not publicly available, as the state-tribal gaming compacts for these American Indian tribal casinos do not require them.
Summary of North Dakota Slot Machine Casino Gambling
North Dakota slot machine casino gambling currently consists of five tribal casinos. Typical slot machines are required to have a minimum payout return of 80%, or 83% for video poker, video blackjack, and other video games of skill. Maximum bets are $25.
North Dakota also have a wide selection of Charitable Gaming sites, two racetrack pari-mutuel facilities, and an assortment of Off Track Betting sites. However, slot machines are not legally allowed at these locations.
The largest casino in North Dakota is the Dakota Magic Casino Resort in Hankinson, which is 50 miles south of Fargo. The second largest is Sky Dancer Hotel Casino & Resort in St. Michael, located 120 miles northeast of Minot.
Other State-By-State Articles from Professor Slots
- Main: Slot Machine Casino Gambling, State-By-State
- Previous: North Carolina Slot Machine Casino Gambling 2018 – North Carolina slot machine casino gambling consists of two American Indian tribal casinos owned by the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians. These North Carolina tribal casinos are not legally required to provide payback returns. However, they are required to be between 83% and 98%. Slot machines are video games of skill.
- Next: Northern Mariana Islands Slot Machine Casino Gambling 2018 – Northern Mariana Islands slot machine casino gambling consists of 5 casinos on Saipan and 2 casinos on Tinian, 2 of 15 islands located 3/4 of the way between the Philippines and Hawaii. Other casinos include visiting cruise ships, casinos legally allowed to be open while docked, and an active casino junket industry.
Thanks for Reading!
There’s more Professor Slots online content available for the slots enthusiast! Take a look!
Professor Slots Podcast:
- Ask your question via email.
- Leave a slots-related voicemail on the Professor Slots podcast hotline: 937-696-0086.
- Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Android | Spotify | Google Play | Stitcher | iHeart Radio | Tune-In | SoundCloud | RSS
Professor Slots Books:
- How-To Guide to Winning at Casino Slots: What Everyone Should Know Before Playing Slot Machines. Amazon Kindle e-Book (22 pages).
- Learning to Win: How to Make a Profit at Slot Machine Casino Gambling. PDF download, Amazon Kindle e-Book, or Amazon Kindle Softcover (200+ pages)
My Only Request is Your Email Address!
All my slots-related articles and podcasts are freely available. In return, I only ask for your email address. That’s it. In return for your email address, you’ll get the following:
- An immediate gift of the top 7 online resources for slots enthusiasts;
- A short sequence of emails with the all-time best information from Professor Slots; then
- Weekly email with links to my latest blog articles and podcasts.
I ask for your email address so that, sometime in the future, I can send you a survey to determine what you’d most like for me to work on and provide. Will it be online courses? Webinars? More books? Speaking engagements? Or, something we haven’t yet thought of, you and I? Let’s find out, together!