Introduction to Missouri Slot Machine Casino Gambling 2017
Missouri slot machine casino gambling consists of 13 riverboat casinos, a type of gambling approved by Missouri voters in 1992. Missouri was the fifth U.S. state to approve gambling on riverboat casinos.
The state of Missouri reports the payout percentage return statistics for slot machines. However, these publicly available statistics included in the results from video poker, video keno and all other electronic games.
A $1,200 or more jackpot or cash prize in Missouri results in the casino withholding 4% of the winnings for the Missouri Department of Revenue. However, filing an annual state tax return with Missouri can return some of these withheld tax, depending upon overall tax return details.
This post continues the weekly blog series “Slot Machine Casino Gambling, State-By-State“, a year-long online resource project dedicated to guiding slot machine gambling enthusiasts to success.
Keep Reading … or Listen Instead!
Relevant Legal Statutes on Gambling in Missouri*
The legal age for gambling is 21. It is illegal for Missouri casinos to offer free alcoholic beverage.
Missouri riverboat casinos are not required to cruise, although they were originally required to close boarding for a two-hour-long gaming session until this restriction was removed in 2000. Another original restriction was a $500 loss limit on each gaming session, eliminated in 2008 via a state-wide referendum.
Winning a jackpot or cash prize of $1,200 or more in Missouri results in the casino withholding 4% of the winnings as an income state tax. Filing an annual state income tax return with Missouri may return some or all of these tax, highly dependent upon other, overall aspects of your annual income tax filings.
*The purpose of this section is to inform the public of state gambling laws and how the laws apply to various forms of gambling. This information is not intended to provide legal advice.
Slot Machine Private Ownership in Missouri
Slot machines may be privately owned in this state as long as they are at least 30 years old.
Gaming Control Board in Missouri
The Missouri Gaming Commission is responsible for Missouri state gaming regulations, including
- Casino Gaming;
- Charitable Games;
- Fantasy Sports; and
- Problem Gambling.
Ongoing monthly payout percentage return statistics from each casino, for as far back as fiscal year 2013, are available at the Commission’s Financial Reports webpage in both PDF and Microsoft Excel file formats.
The Commission’s Mission, Vision, and Core Values are clearly stated as:
- Our Mission: The Missouri Gaming Commission will regulate charitable gaming (BINGO), riverboat casino gaming, and fantasy sports contests in a manner which promotes a positive impact on the State and ensures the integrity of the industry.
- Our Vision: We will be a proactive organization recognized for its fair, firm and consistent enforcement of regulations and statutes.
- Our Core Values:
- Service: We will be responsive to the concerns of our internal and external stakeholders.
- Integrity: Honesty and equity will be our hallmark. We will uphold the highest standards of conduct and demand the same of those we regulate.
- Professionalism: We will treat everyone with respect and value our differences as we carry out our duties.
For those interested in maintaining a weekly update on Missouri gaming issues, the Missouri Gaming Commission News and Information is an informative online blog that publishes relevant gaming articles several times a week.
Casinos in Missouri
The largest casino in Missouri is the Ameristar Casino Hotel Kansas City, having 2,578 electronic gaming machines and 57 table games. The second largest casino in Missouri is the Ameristar Casino Resort St. Charles, which itself has 2,567 electronic gaming machines and 58 table games.
The 13 Missouri riverboat casinos, along with their city and payout percentage return from mid-2016 to mid-2017, are:
- Ameristar Casino Hotel Kansas City
- Location: Kansas City
- Payout %: 90.8%
- Ameristar Casino Resort St. Charle
- Location: St. Charles
- Payout %: 91.0%
- Argosy Casino Hotel & Spa
- Location: Riverside
- Payout %: 90.4%
- Harrah’s North Kansas City
- Location: N. Kansas City
- Payout %: 90.3%
- Hollywood Casino St. Louis
- Location: Maryland Heights
- Payout %: 90.7%
- Isle of Capri Casino Hotel – Boonville
- Location: Boonville
- Payout %: 90.2%
- Isle of Capri Casino Hotel – Cape Girardeau
- Location: Cape Girardeau
- Payout %: 89.8%
- Isle of Capri Casino Hotel – Kansas City
- Location: Kansas City
- Payout %: 88.9%
- Lady Luck Caruthersville
- Location: Caruthersville
- Payout %: 89.3%
- Lumiére Place Casino & Hotels
- Location: St. Louis
- Payout %: 90.2%
- Mark Twain Casino
- Location: La Grange
- Payout %: 89.4%
- River City Casino & Hotel
- Location: St. Louis
- Payout %: 90.9%
- St. Jo Frontier Casino
- Location: St. Joseph
- Payout %: 89.5%
Summary of Missouri Slot Machine Casino Gambling 2017
Missouri slot machine casino gambling consists of 13 riverboat casinos, a type of gambling approved by Missouri voters in 1992. The largest casino in Missouri is the Ameristar Casino Hotel Kansas City.
The state of Missouri reports the payout percentage return statistics by casino. However, they are combined for all electronic gaming machines such as slot machines, video poker, and video keno.
A $1,200 or more jackpot or cash prize in Missouri results in the casino withholding 4% of the winnings for the Missouri Department of Revenue.
Professor Slots Video on Missouri Slot Machine Casino Gambling 2017
Other State-By-State Articles from Professor Slots
- Series: Online Resource: State-By-State Slots Gambling Summaries – Now in its second year, this series is an online resource dedicated to slot machine casino gambling enthusiasts. It provides 56 weekly, detailed gambling summarizes covering each U.S. state, territory, and the federal district to capture dynamic changes occurring of late in the U.S. gaming/gambling industry specific to slots play.
- Previous: Mississippi Slot Machine Casino Gambling 2017 – Mississippi slot machine casino gambling consists of 28 riverboat casinos and three American Indian tribal casinos. Payout return statistics are fully provided by state region, commercial casino property, machine denomination, and further separated by whether they are progressive versus non-progressive style machines.
- Next: Montana Slot Machine Casino Gambling 2017 – Montana slot machine casino gambling does not exist, not exactly. 1,400 locations offer 16,000 video poker, video keno, and video bingo gaming machines. Up to 20 are allowed at any one
location,and have a minimum payout return of 80%. American Indian tribal casinos are not required to have minimum payout returns.