Introduction to Missouri Slot Machine Casino Gambling in 2019
Missouri slot machine casino gambling consists of 13 riverboat casinos spread across the state.
State gaming regulations have established a minimum legal limit for payout returns from gaming devices. Payout return statistics are also publicly available.
This post continues the weekly series Online Resource: A State-By-State Slot Machine Casino Gambling Series, an online resource dedicated to guiding slot machine casino gambling enthusiasts to success. Each weekly post reviews slots gambling in a single U.S. state, territory, or the federal district.
Keep Reading … or Listen Instead!
This audio contains commentary not found anywhere else!
Subscribe to the Professor Slots podcast at Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | iHeart Radio | Spotify | Stitcher | Pandora | Tune-In | SoundCloud | RadioPublic | Android | RSS and wherever else you find podcasts!
Relevant Legal Statutes on Gambling in Missouri*
The minimum legal gambling age in Missouri depends upon the gambling activity:
- Land-Based Casinos: 21
- Poker Rooms: 21
- Bingo: 18
- Lottery: 18
- Pari-Mutuel Wagering: 18
Missouri was the fifth U.S. state to approve gambling on riverboat casinos. These casinos do not cruise. Although they originally had to close boarding for a two-hour-long gaming session, this restriction was eliminated in 2000.
Another original restriction was a $500 loss limit on each gaming session, eliminated in 2008 via a state-wide referendum.
A $1,200 or more jackpot or cash prize in Missouri results in the casino withholding 4% of the winnings for the Missouri Department of Revenue. However, filing an annual state tax return with Missouri can return some withheld tax dependent upon overall aspects of your annual income tax filings.
*The purpose of this section is to inform the public of state gambling laws and how the laws apply to various forms of gambling. This information is not intended to provide legal advice.
Slot Machine Private Ownership in Missouri
Private ownership of slot machines is legal in this state if they are at least 30 years old.
Gaming Control Board in Missouri
The Missouri Gaming Commission is responsible for state gaming regulations. In addition, it has jurisdiction over fantasy sports, bingo, and charitable games.
Are you interested in a weekly update on gaming issues, such as news and information as well as the ability to comment? If so, take a look at the state-run Gaming Commission Blog. I like the photos there.
Casinos in Missouri
There are 13 riverboat casinos in Missouri.
The largest casino in Missouri is Ameristar Casino Hotel Kansas City, having more than 2,200 gaming machines.
The second largest casino is Ameristar Casino Resort Spa St. Charles, having more than 2,000 gaming machines.
List of Casinos in Missouri
The 13 riverboat casinos in Missouri along with their location within the state are:
- Ameristar Casino Hotel Kansas City in Kansas City.
- Ameristar Casino Resort Spa St. Charles in St. Charles located 23 miles northwest of St. Louis.
- Argosy Casino Hotel & Spa in Riverside located 7 miles northwest of Kansas City.
- Harrah’s North Kansas City in North Kansas City located 7 miles northeast of Kansas City.
- Hollywood Casino St. Louis in St. Louis.
- Isle of Capri Casino Hotel – Boonville in Boonville located 103 miles east of Kansas City.
- Isle of Capri Casino Hotel – Cape Girardeau in Cape Girardeau located 116 miles southeast of St. Louis.
- Isle of Capri Casino Hotel – Kansas City in Kansas City.
- Lady Luck Caruthersville in Caruthersville located 98 miles north of Memphis, Tennessee.
- Lumiére Place Casino & Hotels in St. Louis.
- Mark Twain Casino in La Grange located 145 miles northwest of St. Louis.
- River City Casino & Hotel in St. Louis.
- St. Jo Frontier Casino in St. Joseph located 55 miles north of Kansas City.
List of Tribal Casinos in Missouri
While Missouri has two American Indian tribes, neither is a federally-recognized tribe. Consequently, there is no tribal-state compact in place for allowing Class III tribal casinos and, therefore, no tribal casinos in Missouri.
Other Gambling Establishments
As an alternative to enjoying Missouri slot machine casino gambling, consider exploring casino options in a nearby state.
Missouri is bordered by:
- North: Iowa Slots
- East: Illinois Slots
- Southeast: Kentucky Slots
- South: Arkansas Slots and Tennessee Slots
- Northwest: Nebraska Slots
- West: Kansas Slots and Oklahoma Slots
Each of the links above will take you to my state-specific blog for that bordering state to Missouri.
Payout Returns in Missouri
Missouri state law has established an 80% lower limit for theoretical payout returns on all gambling devices.
The state of Missouri reports actual payout percentage returns for slot machines but have combined them with those from video poker, video keno,
There you’ll find the monthly statistics for the most recent fiscal year starting in July. The most recent monthly report available at the time of this writing is October 2018 from FY 2019.
Each page provides the statistics for one Missouri riverboat. The last page of each report shows the combined overall statistics for all riverboat casinos in Missouri.
Also, each page shows the actual payout return percentages by denomination. In October 2018, the overall actual payout return percentage for all Missouri riverboat casinos was 90.298%.
If you wish to select the Missouri riverboat casino with the best payout return based on the most recent month, be sure to review the latest report. The same is true if you want the payout returns for specific slot machine denominations.
For October 2018, the overall monthly payout return for each riverboat casino was:
- Ameristar Casino Hotel Kansas City: 90.333%
- Ameristar Casino Resort Spa St. Charles: 91.038%
- Argosy Casino Hotel & Spa: 90.070%
- Harrah’s North Kansas City: 90.059%
- Hollywood Casino St. Louis: 90.644%
- Isle of Capri Casino Hotel – Boonville: 90.217%
- Isle of Capri Casino Hotel – Cape Girardeau: 89.509%
- Isle of Capri Casino Hotel – Kansas City: 89.265%
- Lady Luck Caruthersville: 89.335%
- Lumiére Place Casino & Hotels: 90.162%
- Mark Twain Casino: 88.345%
- River City Casino & Hotel: 90.557%
- St. Jo Frontier Casino: 89.131%
For October 2018, the highest actual payout return went to Ameristar Casino Resort Spa St. Charles at just over 91%. The lowest payout return for the month went to the Mark Twain Casino at just over 88.3%.
Our Missouri Slots Facebook Group
Are you interested in sharing and learning with other slots enthusiasts in Missouri? If so, join our new Missouri slots community on Facebook. All you’ll need is a Facebook profile to freely join this closed Facebook Group.
There, you’ll be able to privately share your slots experiences as well as chat with players about slots gambling in or near Missouri. Come join us!
Summary of Missouri Slot Machine Casino Gambling in 2019
Missouri slot machine casino gambling consists of 13 riverboat casinos. Missouri has no federally-recognized tribe and therefore no tribal casinos.
State gaming regulations have established an 80% minimum legal limit for payout returns from gaming devices. Detailed actual payout return statistics are available by month, casino, and slot machine denomination.
Annual Progress in Missouri Slot Machine Casino Gambling
Over the last year, there has been no significant change in the state of Missouri slot machine casino gambling.
2017 Archive: Missouri Slot Machine Casino Gambling in 2017 – Missouri slot machine casino gambling consists of 13 riverboat casinos, the fifth U.S. state to approve riverboats. The state of Missouri reports the payout percentage return statistics by
Other State-By-State Articles from Professor Slots
- Online Resource: A State-By-State Slot Machine Casino Gambling Series – This online resource for slot machine casino gamblers summaries a third year of 56 weekly posts for each U.S. state, territory, and the federal district. Slots players begin here to learn about the slots gaming industry in each U.S. gaming jurisdiction. This summary article links to 56 individual state-specific posts useful to slots players.
- Previous: Mississippi Slot Machine Casino Gambling in 2019 – Mississippi slot machine casino gambling consists of 28 riverboat casinos, 3 tribal casinos, and international cruise ships. Minimum and maximum payout return limits for non-tribal casinos are 80% and 100%, respectively. Comprehensive actual payout return statistics are publicly available by state region and denomination.
- Next: Montana Slot Machine Casino Gambling in 2019 – Montana slot machine casino gambling consists of 1,418 small businesses with up to 20 video gaming machines and 8 tribal casinos with Class II or Class III games. Overall, the businesses have 18,544 video slots, keno, and poker machines with an 80% lower payout return limit while video slots have an upper limit of 92%.