Introduction to Alaska Slot Machine Casino Gambling in 2019
Alaska slot machine casino gambling does not exist. There are no land-based casinos with electronic gaming machines. Alaska as eight community bingo halls and pull-tab establishments. Cruise ships visiting Alaska’s coastal cities offer onboard casinos when cruising in international waters.
This post continues my weekly State-By-State Slot Machine Casino Gambling Series, an online resource dedicated to guiding slot machine casino gambler to success. Now in its third year, each weekly post reviews slots gambling in a single U.S. state, territory, or federal district.
Subscribe to the Professor Slots podcast at Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | iHeart Radio | Spotify | Stitcher | Pandora | Tune-In | SoundCloud | RadioPublic | Android | RSS and wherever else you find podcasts!
Relevant Legal Statutes on Gambling in Alaska*
The minimum legal gambling age in Alaska depends upon the gambling activity:
- Pull-Tab Sites: 21
- Poker Rooms: Not available
- Bingo: 19
- Lottery: Not available
- Pari-Mutuel Wagering: Not available
In 1960, the legislature established a law allowing charitable fundraising events to offer games of skill. With this statute in place, the federal Indian Gaming Regulatory Act (IGRA) of 1988 allowed tribes to offer games of skill.
*The purpose of this section is to inform the public of state gambling laws and how the laws might apply to various forms of gaming. It is not legal advice.
Slot Machine Private Ownership in Alaska
Private ownership of slot machines in Alaska is legal if not offered as a gaming device for real-money gambling.
Gaming Control Board in Alaska
Alaska does not have a state gaming commission, gaming control board, or state lottery
As established by federal law, the National Indian Gaming Commission (NIGC) regulates Alaska’s Class II bingo-style gaming facilities through the IGRA. These community bingo halls also offer pull-tab games, a type of paper-based lottery card, recognized by state statute from 1960 as a skill-based game.
Casinos in Alaska
There are no non-tribal casinos, about 10 American Indian tribal casinos, and a few international cruise ships making seasonal visits to Alaska’s coastal cities
The largest land-based casino in Alaska is MIC Gaming Hall having bingo and pull-tab games.
This community bingo hall, owned and operated by the Metlakatla Indian Community, recently celebrated its 14th anniversary of being open.
Commercial Casinos in Alaska
There are no non-tribal land-based casinos in Alaska, but international cruise ships visit several of Alaska’s coastal cities. These ships have onboard casinos open for business while the ship is cruising in international waters.
Tribal Casinos in Alaska
Several community halls in Alaska offer bingo, pull-tab games, or both:
- Agate Pulltabs in Sand Point, owned and operated by the Qagan Tayagungin Tribe, located off the Alaskan Peninsula on Popof Island.
- Atka Ira Council Pull Tabs located on Atka Island on the Alaskan Peninsula.
- Klawock IRA Pull Tab Shoppe, owned and operated by the Metlakatla Indian Community, in the city of Klawock located 56 miles west of Ketchikan on the west coast of Prince of Wales Island.
- MIC Gaming Hall in Metlakatla, owned and operated by the Metlakatla Indian Community, located 22 miles south of Ketchikan on Annette Island.
- Native Village of Barrow Pull Tabs is in Utqiaġvik, formerly known as the city of Barrow. This pull-tab site is owned and operated by a federally-recognized tribe named Native Village of Barrow. The city of Utqiaġvik is on the northern-most point of Alaska on the Beaufort Sea, northwest of Fairbanks but four hours away by air travel.
Other Gambling Establishments
As an alternative to enjoying Alaska slot machine casino gambling, consider exploring casino options in Canada and in onboard casinos of international cruise ships.
The ships visiting Alaska’s coastal cities during the summer cruise season are:
- Anchorage: Crystal Cruises – Crystal Serenity
- Juneau: Royal Caribbean International – Radiance of the Seas
Our Alaska Slots Community Facebook Group
Are you interested in sharing and learning from other slots enthusiasts in Alaska? If so, join our new Alaska slots community on Facebook. All you’ll need is a Facebook profile to join this closed Facebook Group freely.
There, you’ll be able to privately share your slots experiences as well as chat with other players about slots gambling in Alaska. Join us!
Payout Returns in Alaska
Alaska has no land-based casinos with Class III slot machines, state gaming commission, or tribal-state gaming compact. Therefore, it has no theoretical return limits or payout statistics available.
Summary of Alaska Slot Machine Casino Gambling in 2019
Alaska slot machine casino gambling does not exist. Opportunities to play games of skill exist, including community bingo halls and pull-tab games.
Visiting cruise ships offer onboard casinos with games of chance when cruising in international waters. Otherwise, Canada has a small casino located 50 miles from Ketchikan.
Annual Progress in Alaska Slot Machine Casino Gambling
Over the last year, there has been no change regarding the legal status of having slot machines available in Alaska.
Related Articles from Professor Slots
Other State-By-State Articles from Professor Slots
- Online Resource: State-By-State Slot Machine Casino Gambling Series
- Previous: Alabama Slot Machine Casino Gambling in 2019
- Next: American Samoa Slot Machine Casino Gambling in 2019